This article shows you how point and active domain name to PromoteMyPlace without any downtime for your website. By active domain we mean one that already has a website attached to it. If it's a new domain then you don't need to do this.
In order to avoid downtime the domain name needs to be bound to our service preemptively. To do this you need to add some verification records to your domain name settings, before you point your domain name to PromoteMyPlace.
Instructions for adding these records are as follows:
1. Sign in to the control panel of your domain name provider account.
2. Find the page for managing DNS records. Every domain provider has its own DNS records interface, so consult the provider's documentation. Look for areas of the site labelled Domain Name, DNS, or Name Server Management.
3. Create a CNAME record and 2 TXT records as follows.
You need to create a new CNAME record as follows:
- For the record type, select CNAME.
- In the Label/Host field enter awverify.www
- In the Destination/Target field enter pmpsiteserver3.trafficmanager.net
You need to create two new TXT records as follows:
Note, you must include the quotes.
Instructions for adding TXT records vary between domain providers but in general it goes something like this:
- For the record type, select TXT.
- In the Name/Host/Alias field, enter @ or leave it blank. Sometimes your domain provider will require you to enter your domain, which looks like yourdomain.com, into this field. Your other DNS records may suggest how it should be entered. Alternatively check your domain providers documentation or contact their support.
- In the Time to Live (TTL) field, enter 86400 or leave the default.
- In the Value/Answer/Destination field, enter one of the records above i.e. "wrpmp-prod-euw-redirectservice3.azurewebsites.net" and repeat this process for the other one.
- Save the record.
Your records will look something like this:
Once you've completed those steps, please get in touch via the support system and we will complete the next step.